News

Nowhere in Sierra Leone is safe from cholera – WHO, Govt warn

Both the United Nations and the Government of Sierra Leone have confirmed to Politico that the country’s worst cholera outbreak in 15 years has killed over 200 people since February, most of them in the last one month.

They also warn that nowhere may be safe from the epidemic.

The latest figures as provided by the UN World Health Organisation show that 218 have died and 12,148 cases have been reported, which means an average of five people dying daily.

Liberian Army, Police Disgruntled

Reports from Liberia say troops of the Armed Forces of Liberia (AFL) and the Emergency Response Unit (ERU) of the Liberia National Police assigned at B’hai Town on the Liberian border with Cote d’Ivoire have appealed to government for logistical supplies and food. They have also expressed unhappiness over the manner in which they are being treated by the authorities.

Speaking to some Liberian journalists recently on condition of anonymity, the AFL soldiers alleged that they had not received their stipend for two months.

212 die of cholera in Sierra Leone

The Country Representative of the UN World Health Organisation to Sierra Leone, Dr Wondimagenehu Alemu says the current nationwide outbreak of cholera in the country has killed 212 people as at Saturday 19 August and the “numbers [are] increasing dramatically”.

This brings to nearly 150 those killed in the last one month alone.

Speaking to Politico Dr Alemu says ten of the country’s thirteen districts are now affected with the capital, Freetown, the hardest hit. Tonkolili, Kambia and Port Loko in the north also recording high cases.

Cholera kills 176…10,800 cases recorded

As at 14 August, 176 people had been killed by cholera with 10,800 cases recorded nationwide, according to a United Nations source in Freetown who does not wish to be named. The epidemic is said to be on the increase especially in the Western Area. The UN source says “government is covering up the enormity” of the situation but would not give reasons why.

The source made figures available to Politico, suggesting that the outbreak is particularly rising in the Western Area, which accounts for the majority of the cases.

Human Rights Commission damns NEC fees

The Human Rights Commission of Sierra Leone (HRCSL) has criticized the decision by the National Electoral Commission (NEC) to impose what the opposition and civil society groups have described as “prohibitive” fees for candidates running for President and Members of Parliament in November’s elections.

In a press release, HRCSL describes the fees as “astronomical and disproportionate” to the living standards and income of Sierra Leoneans saying, “taking part in the conduct of public affairs particularly through elections is a basic human right”

Pages

Top